Christmas DIY | Part 1
'Tis the season to be creative... I love DIY so much and with a bit of extra time on my hands I can finally get stuck into some projects over the holidays.
I was struggling to come up with the perfect Secret Santa gift under R100 so I decided to make my own little succulent garden in a jar.
What to buy:
- A succulent from your local nursery. They should be +- R30.
- A jar big enough for the succulent, I found mine at West Pack for +- R30.
- Small stones for the soil. I bought these at Herbert Evans for +-R30
- One meter of ribbon, or whatever you want to wrap the jar in. You can find ribbon at Herbert Evans for +- R2.
- A piece of cardboard for the name tag or the instructions. +- R1 a sheet at a stationary store.
- Take the succulent out of the pot you bought it in and remove the soil around the roots of the plant.
- Place the remainder of the soil at the bottom of the jar and make space for the plant.
- Place the plant in the jar and cover the roots with the soil.
- Carefully pour the small stones on top of the soil until it is covered with a thin layer of stones.
- Tie the ribbon around the top of the jar.
- Cut a small square of cardboard for the instructions or Christmas wishes.
- Punch a hole in the corner of the card and thread the ribbon through.
Another alternative instead of soil is layers of different coloured sand.
I'll be posting a little series on Christmas DIY so keep an eye out. Also, if you are doing any fun DIY things this holiday, I would love to hear about them.